If you’ve been involved in an Uber accident in Florida, you may be facing a challenging situation. A Florida Uber accident attorney can provide valuable assistance during this difficult time.
Uber accidents have unique characteristics compared to other motor vehicle accidents. The key factor in determining compensation depends largely on whether the Uber driver was actively working for Uber at the time of the accident. If they were, Uber’s substantial million-dollar umbrella insurance policy would cover your injuries and damages.
However, establishing liability in a Florida Uber accident can be a complex process. Injured victims require a dedicated lawyer who will vigorously advocate for their rights and pursue compensation after a significant ride sharing accident.
When an Uber accident occurs in Clearwater, Tampa, Miami, Boca Raton, or anywhere in Florida, it’s crucial to know where to turn for assistance. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury while riding in an Uber, you may be entitled to compensation under Florida law. To determine your eligibility, consult with an experienced Florida Uber accident attorney today at the Wolfson & Leon Law Offices, with offices in Miami, Fort Myers, Hialeah, Fort Lauderdale, Cape Coral, and serving clients throughout Florida.
Understanding Uber in Florida
It’s important to recognize that Uber operates differently from traditional taxis. While taxis are typically regulated and subject to city and state requirements, Uber operates as a platform connecting passengers with independent contractor drivers.
Uber drivers are not considered employees of Uber; they are private individuals providing transportation services. This distinction is significant, as it impacts various legal aspects.
Ridesharing Laws in Florida
The rise of ridesharing companies like Uber has prompted many states, including Florida, to enact legislation to regulate them. In Florida, the law requires drivers to carry specific levels of insurance coverage, distinguishing between times when the driver is actively seeking passengers and when they have passengers in the vehicle.
Insurance Coverage in Florida Uber Accidents
Uber is obligated under Florida law to provide minimum insurance coverage, but the coverage varies depending on the driver’s status:
- When the Driver Is Not Using the Uber App:
- In this scenario, when the driver is using their personal vehicle for personal use, no insurance coverage is provided by Uber. The driver is required to maintain insurance as required by Florida law.
- When the Driver Is Using the Uber App but Does Not Have a Passenger:
- When the driver is using the Uber app but hasn’t picked up a passenger yet, the insurance coverage provided by Uber only comes into play if the driver’s personal insurance doesn’t cover the full extent of the accident.
- When Passengers Are in the Vehicle:
- Once an Uber driver accepts a fare and has passengers in the car, Uber’s insurance coverage takes effect, with a primary liability coverage of at least $1 million for death, bodily injury, and property damage, as well as additional coverages required by law.
Steps to Take if Injured in a Florida Uber Accident
Your health should be your top priority following a Florida Uber accident. To protect your rights and maximize your compensation, consider the following steps:
- Call 911: Contact emergency services to ensure your injuries are promptly evaluated and documented by EMTs. The police will also create a report detailing the accident’s circumstances.
- Gather Evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, your injuries, and all vehicles involved. If possible, speak with witnesses and collect their contact information.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you receive initial medical evaluation at the scene, consult with your doctor afterward to assess your injuries and create a treatment plan.
- Maintain a Personal Injury Journal: Keeping a journal can help track your recovery, pain, and daily challenges, providing valuable evidence for your case.
- Consult a Florida Uber Accident Attorney: Reach out to a skilled Uber accident attorney in Florida. They can help you navigate the legal process, advocate for your rights, and seek the compensation you deserve.
Determining the Value of Your Florida Uber Accident Case
The value of your Uber accident case depends on several factors, including:
- The type and severity of your injuries
- Time spent out of work
- Hospitalization duration
- Future prognosis
- Rehabilitation needs
- Ability to return to work
Even seemingly minor injuries can lead to significant medical expenses. Lost wages due to inability to work can also contribute to your financial burden. Holding the at-fault party responsible for your injuries and medical bills is essential.
While many personal injury cases are resolved through settlements, some may go to trial. Preparation is key in either scenario. A qualified Florida Uber accident lawyer can help negotiate a fair settlement and, if necessary, represent you in a complex trial.
Our Florida Uber Accident Lawyers Are Here to Assist You
If you’ve been involved in an Uber accident in Florida, it’s crucial to have the right legal representation. At the Wolfson & Leon Law Offices, we are committed to helping you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses.
We understand that your focus should be on your physical recovery and getting back to your daily life. Our experienced Florida Uber accident lawyers are dedicated to advocating for your rights and maximizing your recovery. Call (305) WOLFSON (305-965-3766) today if you have any questions about an Uber accident in Florida. All consultations are free and you are not responsible for any fees unless there is a recovery.